Hey there all you young horn players. My name is Coleman "Hawk" Hawkins, but most people know me as the "Father of the Tenor Saxophone." I have played with many talented musicians and recorded many albums in my time. But I am most famous for my 1939 recording of "Body and Soul." In 1923, I joined the Fletcher Henderson Band, and was influenced by the playing style of Louis Armstrong. In 1933, I toured the continent of Europe for five years with the Jack Hylton Orchestra.

Hawkins' Album Cover

Hawkins' Album Cover
Entitled "The Hawk Flies High," this album was one of my most successful, establishing me as one of the greatest tenor saxophone players of all time.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Works Cited


Body and Soul Album Cover. Digital image. Web. 7 Apr. 2010.     .

Body and Sould Sheet Music. Digital image. Sheet Music Plus. Web. 7 Apr. 2010. .

Coleman Hawkins LBG Melody. Digital image. Type Pad. Web. 7 Apr. 2010. .

Esquire All Stars At The Met Album Cover. Digital image. Images Amazon. Web. 7 Apr. 2010. .

The Hawk Flies High. Digital image. Web. 7 Apr. 2010. .

Hawkins Special Mouthpieces. Digital image. Theo Wanne. Web. 7 Apr. 2010. .

"The Indispensable Coleman Hawkins "Body and Soul"" Jazz Tribune. Web. 7 Apr. 2010. .

Portrait of Coleman Hawkins. Digital image. Nostalgic Radio. Web. 7 Apr. 2010. .

SML Sax. Digital image. Sax on the Web. Web. 7 Apr. 2010. .

YouTube - Coleman Hawkins - Body & Soul. Perf. Coleman Hawkins. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. 5 May 2007. Web. 7 Apr. 2010. .

YouTube - Coleman Hawkins "JAMAICA SHOUT" (1933). Perf. Henry Allen, Coleman Hawkins, J C Higgenbotham, Hilton Jefferson. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. 12 May 2009. Web. 7 Apr. 2010. .

No comments:

Post a Comment